If you have signed yourself up for or are keen on trying out Laser Hair Removal sessions, it is time to pay attention! Laser hair removal can be one of the best cosmetic procedures you can gift yourself with - it makes life so much easier, and saves you money and time in the long run as you will no longer have to wax or shave.
Ensuring that your laser hair removal procedures are as successful and as effective as they can be, however, is based off how you treat your skin before and after your hair removal procedures. Here is a handy list of the do’s and don’ts of laser hair removal - something you definitely will benefit from reading from if you are planning on signing yourself up for a hair removal session!
- One of the most important things you should do when you are partaking in laser hair removal is to shave the area being treated the night before your appointment. According to the highly rated and best laser hair removal clinic in Melbourne, shaving the area will prevent thermal injury to the surface of the skin as there will not be any hair on the surface to absorb the laser’s energy, also allowing the laser to go directly to the hair follicle itself.
- Keeping your skin protected from the sun for four to six weeks prior to (and post) laser hair removal treatment is an absolute necessity. It is therefore key that you actively use sunscreen prior to and after your laser hair removal treatments.
- Clean your skin prior to your hair removal treatment, leaving it free of cosmetics, lotions, moisturisers, creams or powders. If you are treating areas such as the underarms, there is no need to apply deodorant on prior to your hair removal treatment.
Always fill in your medical and health details accurately on forms given to you by laser hair removal clinics. It is very important that your specialists know about all your conditions, whether it be an allergy, a skin sensitivity or any medications you may be on. This ensures that your specialist is aware of what you can or cannot undergo, in order to make sure that your appointment is as safe and effective as it can be.
Do apply Aloe Vera gel to treated areas of the skin if you encounter any soreness or redness after treatment. Swelling and redness can last between a few hours or up to a few days, depending on your skin type, but is nothing to worry about.
- Do not pluck, wax, tweeze or thread your hair in the affected area for a few weeks prior to treatment. This also applies to the hair regrowth in between your treatments. (You may shave the hair off between sessions). Plucking or tweezing of any sort removes the hair root, which is what the laser targets. Preserving the root and the pigment of the hair is imperative for the success of the laser treatment.
- Do not go into tanning beds, or engage in any form of sun bathing prior to your laser hair removal treatments. Getting a tan during your treatments is especially dangerous as the settings needed for later treatments will be different from what they were initially. If the settings are not changed, it may result in too much energy being deposited on the skin, causing redness, burning, and blisters.
- Do not undergo laser procedures if you take light-sensitive medication as some medications may interfere with laser procedures. This can cause your skin to be more susceptible to burning and scarring. To ensure that your medication does not interfere with the procedure, consult a physician before undergoing any laser treatment.
- After your laser hair treatment, do not take very hot baths, showers, steam baths or sit in a sauna. Do not swim in strong chlorinated water for two or three days after your treatment as well.
- Do not use bleaching creams, cologne or perfume products for 24 to 48 hours after your laser hair removal procedure as they can sting and irritate the skin. Also avoid exfoliating the area or using any type of peels on it for at least one week post treatment. Your skin needs time to heal, and any skin irritants will get in the way of a good recovery.
Follow this list of do’s and don’ts of laser hair removal and you will be ensured the best, most effective and worthwhile results that you want. It may seem slightly tedious, but it is most definitely more than worth it when you are rewarded with smooth, hair free skin at the end of the day!