Enjoy these sugar free AND gluten free Hot Cross Buns this Easter - oh YUMMMMMM!!
¾ cup gluten free plain flour
¾ cup buckwheat flour
¹⁄³ cup potato starch
2 teaspoon guar gum
1 teaspoon salt
1 ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
Pinch ground clove
1 tablespoon dry yeast
¾ cup light coconut milk
3 tablespoons Perfect Sweet® xylitol
2 tablespoons light olive oil or vegetable oil
Zest of 1 orange and 1 lemon finely grated
1 cup raisins
1 tablespoon water
Sugar Free Icing for Crosses
½ cup Perfect Sweet® xylitol
½ teaspoon guar gum
1 teaspoon light coconut milk
- Preheat oven 180°C.
- Sift plain flour, buckwheat flour, potato starch, guar gum, salt , cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove into a bowl.
- Mix in yeast.
- In a second bowl beat eggs, coconut milk, Perfect Sweet® xylitol, oil and zest.
- Add egg mixture to dry ingredients and beat well until combined.
- Fold in raisins.
- Divide mixture into 8-10 buns.
- Place dough on a lined tray.
- Set aside in a warm place for 1 hour to allow buns to rise.
- Press a chopstick into the top of each bun to form a cross. This makes a gulley so that the icing remains in place and forms the cross.
- Using an electric beater, beat the egg and water in a small bowl until combined.
- Brush the buns with egg glaze and bake for 20 minutes at 180°C.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Sugar Free Icing
- Grind Perfect Sweet® xylitol to a fine powder with mortar and pestle.
- Add the guar gum and coconut milk.
- Work until smooth and transfer to a piping bag.
- Pipe crosses on the buns.